Cape Landing 2018 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
2018 Cabernet Sauvignon
Margaret River, WA
Classic Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon - French oak maturation for 10 months, medium to full bodied, velvety smooth with intense flavours of primary red fruits, cassis and maraschino cherries.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2018
- Type Red Wine
- Variety Cabernet Sauvignon
- Volume 750ml
- Alcohol Volume 14.5%
- Bottling Date March 2019
- Background Variety, location, and viticultural technique all contribute to creating award-winning Cabernet Sauvignon at Cape Landing. A Silver Medal winner at the Langton's Margaret River Wine Show 2019 placed Cape Landing's 2018 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in the top 10 of all 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon's produced in the Margaret River GI.
- Vintage Notes The 2017/18 growing season was kind to us. Rain came at the right times, and mild temperatures meant that ripening was slow and steady. Sunshine and afternoon sea breezes gave us vibrant fruit flavours and natural acidity. Quality and yield this year was exceptional.
- Vineyard Notes Our 20 year old Cabernet Sauvignon vines (Houghton Clone) are planted north-south to allow even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. Our Cabernet Sauvignon vines are always pruned approximately 6 weeks earlier than other vine varieties to maximise the length of the growing season. The vines are minimally irrigated, with special attention being paid to achieving full solarisation and fruit exposure on each vine through canopy management and leaf removal. Excess and green fruit bunches are removed throughout the growing season to ensure optimum fruit development and flavour. After veraison, the vines were covered with bird netting through to harvest.
- Winemaking Our meticulously managed Cabernet Sauvignon is harvested on the last few days of the season. The fruit is destemmed, and the berries just split before being transferred for fermentation. The ferment is kept cool so as to allow slow and controlled extraction of tannin, flavour and sugar from the fruit, thus crafting a wine of aromatic intensity and textural depth and precision. Must is pumped over 3 times daily to aid extraction, followed by a gentle separation of the wine from the skin after 14 days. Following malolactic fermentation the wine was aged on French Oak for 10 months before gentle fining, filtration and bottling.
- Tasting Notes Ruby red with garnet flecks.This highly expressive Cabernet Sauvignon has a refined bouquet of violets and cherries, subtle hints of cedar and freshly roasted coffee beans, and a palate that delivers a bright and focused entry of red fruits and cassis, with subtle tones of creamy French oak.
- Style Classic Single Vineyard 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Colour Ruby red with garnet flecks.
- Bouquet Violets, glazed cherries, graphite and subtle hints of cedar and freshly roasted coffee beans.
- Palate A bright and focused entry of primary red fruits and cassis guided by pristine fruit tannin and drive. An undercurrent of wet slate and maraschino cherries through the palate delivers a finish both poised and lingering.
- Peak Drinking / Cellaring Potential This Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon will continue to mature in bottle, and can be cellared for 10+ years.