Cape Landing 2019 Blackwood Cabernet Sauvignon
2019 Cabernet Sauvignon
Margaret River, WA
Produced from our oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vines. Velvet tannins with flavours of cherries, allspice and dark chocolate. Matured for 16 months in French Oak barriques. Expected release date – August 2021. Available for pre-order by Wine Club members only.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2019
- Type Red Wine
- Variety Cabernet Sauvignon
- Volume 750ml
- Alcohol Volume 14%
- Bottling Date August 2020
- Background Cape Landing’s Blackwood series of limited production premium wines represent the pinnacle of viticulture and the very best of wine making at Cape Landing. The finest parcels of fruit from each vintage are hand-picked, selected from individual vines, each distinguished by clone, aspect, soil and overall fruit quality from our Calgardup Road vineyard.
- Vintage Notes The 2019 vintage in Margaret River was challenging but ultimately successful. Spring was slow and cool, and summer moderate with reduced strong solar days and restricted wet weather. The absence of Marri Blossom, following the failure of many native tree species to flower, led to late season bird and bee pressure, and extensive netting to preserve fruit. Late, warmer, conditions prior to vintage produced fruit of superb quality despite lower than average yield.
- Vineyard Notes Our 20 year old Cabernet Sauvignon vines (Houghton Clone) are planted north-south to allow even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. Our Cabernet Sauvignon vines are always pruned approximately 6 weeks earlier than other vine varieties to maximise the length of the growing season. The vines are minimally irrigated, with special attention being paid to achieving full solarisation and fruit exposure on each vine through canopy management and leaf removal. Excess and green fruit bunches are removed throughout the growing season to ensure optimum fruit development and flavour. After version, the vines were covered with bird netting through to harvest.
- Winemaking Select parcels of Cabernet Sauvignon are picked in the early hours of morning, de-stemmed and gently crushed, so that each berry is just split, ensuring slow and controlled extraction of colour, tannin and flavour, while still retaining aromatic freshness. The fruit undergoes a cool ferment for 14 days, with 3 gentle pump overs per day during fermentation. After a further 10 to 14 days of post-fermentation maceration, the wine is gravity drained. The free-drained wine only is transferred to French Oak barriques, 35% of which are new, to complete secondary fermentation and 16 months maturation, following the wine is blended, lightly fined and filtered before bottling. This wine will continue to mature in bottle and may be cellared for 15+ years.
- Tasting Notes Aromas of black fruits, violets, glazed cherries, cacao nib and liquorice. On the palate an opulent entry of velvet tannin laced with flavours of cherries, allspice and dark chocolate. A fine fruit core culminates in a lasting finish of black and red fruits, with bristling, persistent minerality.
- Style Classic Single Vineyard 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Colour Crimson with garnet flecks.
- Bouquet Black fruits, violets, glazed cherries, cacao nib and liquorice.
- Palate An opulent entry of velvet tannins, laced with flavours of black fruits, allspice, cherries and dark chocolate. A fine fruit core is gently suspended over a dark underlay, culminating in a lasting finish of black and red fruits, with bristling and persistent minerality.
- Peak Drinking / Cellaring Potential This Blackwood Cabernet Sauvignon will continue to mature in bottle, and can be cellared for 10+ years. Only 1600 bottles were produced (packed in 266 x bottle cases).