Cape Landing 2019 Blackwood Chardonnay
Margaret River, WA
Our Flagship Chardonnay. Natural acidity, flavours of stone fruit and pure fruit tannins. Matured for 10 months in fine French oak. Limited production. Anticipated release date – April 2021. Available now for pre-order by Wine Club members only.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2019
- Type White Wine
- Variety Chardonnay
- Volume 750ml
- Alcohol Volume 12.8%
- Bottling Date February 2020
- Background Cape Landing’s Blackwood series of limited production premium wines represent the pinnacle of viticulture and the very best of wine making at Cape Landing. The finest parcels of fruit from each vintage are hand-picked, selected from individual vines, each distinguished by clone, aspect, soil and overall fruit quality from our Calgardup Road vineyard.
- Vintage Notes The 2019 vintage in Margaret River was challenging but ultimately successful. Spring was slow and cool, and summer moderate with reduced strong solar days and restricted wet weather. The absence of Marri Blossom, following the failure of many native tree species to flower, led to late season bird and bee pressure, and extensive netting to preserve fruit. Late, warmer, conditions prior to vintage produced fruit of superb quality despite lower than average yield.
- Vineyard Notes Our various blocks of Chardonnay vines are all planted north-south, allowing even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. Meticulous canopy management helps achieve our ultimate goal of dappled light, yielding the perfect balance of intense fruit flavours; fine texture; and structural natural acidity. Following veraison, vines are covered with bird netting through to harvest.
- Winemaking The fruit for our Blackwood Chardonnay is hand-harvested at first light and whole- cluster pressed straight to ferment in carefully selected Burgundian French Oak barriques, 35% of which are new. Natural solids are retained and incorporated into the juice so as to harness and express every bit of aromatic, textural and structural character. After a long cool ferment, the wine is aged over light lees for a further 10 months in French Oak, 40% of which were new, with fortnightly bâttonage adding to inherent textural weight and palate concentration. After aging the wine is blended, lightly fined and filtered before bottling.
- Tasting Notes Aromas of white pear, brioche, freshly squeezed lime and crushed granite. On the palate natural acidity and pure fruit tannins deliver flavours and textures of grapefruit pith, slate and assorted stone fruits, an utterly focused finish, and subtle tones of creamy French oak.
- Style Classic single vineyard 100% Chardonnay.
- Colour Light green with subtle yellow tones.
- Bouquet White pear, brioche, freshly squeezed lime and crushed granite.
- Palate Fine and lean, natural acidity and pure fruit tannins deliver flavours and textures of grapefruit pith, slate and assorted stone fruits, an utterly focused finish of bristling intensity with subtle tones of creamy French oak.
- Peak Drinking / Cellaring Potential This Blackwood Chardonnay will continue to mature in bottle, and can be cellared for 3 - 5 years.