Cape Landing 2019 Reserve Chardonnay
Margaret River, WA
We have an artists’ palette of Chardonnay clones, including the famed Gingin clone, and Clones 3 & 5 for complexity. Our Chardonnay’s are lightly oaked, with fresh, citrus flavour’s, revealing multiple layers of textural complexity and natural acidity.
- Region Margaret River
- Vintage 2019
- Type White Wine
- Variety Chardonnay
- Volume 750ml
- Alcohol Volume 12.8%
- Bottling Date November 2019
- Vintage Notes The 2019 vintage in Margaret River was challenging but ultimately very successful. Spring was slow and cool, Summer was moderate with reduced strong solar days and wet weather restricted. The failure of many native tree species to flower led to late season bird and bee pressure and further reductions in crop, but late warmer conditions produced fruit of superb quality despite lower than average yield.
- Vineyard Notes Our various blocks of Chardonnay vines are all planted north-south, allowing even sunlight and warmth on either side of the canopy throughout the growing season. Meticulous canopy management helps achieve our ultimate goal of dappled light, yielding the perfect balance of intense fruit flavours; fine texture; and structural natural acidity. Following veraison, vines are covered with bird netting through to harvest.
- Winemaking Select parcels of our Chardonnay were harversted in the early hours of morning and whole-cluster pressed straight to ferment in French Oak, with all natural solids retained and incorporated so as to harness and fully express the aroma, texture and structural characteristics of the fruit. After long cool fermentation the wine was aged for 8 months on French Oak and light lees, with fortnightly battonage adding to the inherent textural weight and palate concentration. After aging, the wine was carefully blended, lightly fined and filtered before bottling. This is a beautifully rich vintage for Chardonnay where the wine is developing early but will integrate and become deeper with time.
- Tasting Notes Natural acidity and pure fruit tannins deliver flavours of stone fruit, shaved almonds, and lemon zest, with an utterly mineral finish of apricots, lime juice and plum, and subtle tones of creamy French oak.
- Style Classic Single Vineyard 100% Chardonnay
- Colour Light green with mother of pearl flecks.
- Bouquet Nectarines, lemon zest, shaved almonds and creamy French Oak.
- Palate A viscous entry laced with flavours of apricots, lime juice and plum blossoms. Darting natural acidity and fine lines of pure fruit tannin give the palate drive and persistence towards and utterly mineral finish.
- Peak Drinking / Cellaring Potential Now until 2027